As is the case for any rural village in
Scotland, a community is built on its peoples spirit, resourcefulness
and character. This Stonehouse possesses in abundance, ensuring today,
an active, thriving community, working together in the furtherance of
recreational, charitable and traditional events, such as the Gala Day
and the Agricultural Show.
This has been achieved through consultation, commitment and respect for
one another, in working for the benefit of all. This community spirit
can be evidenced throughout the years, in the local press cuttings and
the statistical accounts of the parish. These date back to 1710, when
Stonehouse was fortunate to have proprietors who were willing to work
in unison with the people, improving farming methods, village
facilities and services throughout the parish.
The inhabitants of Stonehouse have shown great skill and ability to
adapt to the social and industrial changes in Scotland through the
centuries. A multi-talented, able and willing people, they were very
much self sufficient until the end of the 19th century. A community in
the purest sense of the word, they were reliant on one anothers
abilities and success. The inhabitants took a greater interest in the
affairs of the village, through its civic organisations, such as the
Cooperatives, the Mutual Improvement Association, School Board, Gas
Light Company and the Parish Council.
In areas such as the sanitation and the introduction of gas lit
streets, Stonehouse was ahead of many other neighbouring villages at
the time. Our central location availability of plentiful resources,
such as coal, lime, sandstone, water and good farming land, ensured
Stonehouse possessed all the natural resources and strategic needs for
a successful community.
This chapter highlights the diversity in employment and the changes
through the industrial revolution, as well as looking at the families
history records that have assisted in building a better picture of the
people who have ensured Stonehouse's progress.