Welcome to StonehouseOnline.org.uk, the community website of Stonehouse, South Lanarkshire. Keep up to date with what's happening in the village.
  Home  |  Information & History  |  Facilities  |  Events  |  Then and now  |  Hidden Stonehouse  |  Community groups  |  Businesses  |  News  |  Links  |  Contact

You are here: Information & History | Religion - Congregational

Religion Covenanters
Eccles. Account
Paterson U.F.C.
Hamilton Mem. F.C.

Parish Church
Old Kirk Yard
Kirk New Street

Patrick Hamilton

Religion - Congregational

Congregational Church Timeline
1860 Camnethan Street Evangelical Union meeting house established at 8 Camnethan Street. A Mr Massie (Superintendant) c.1866 and Richard Goodwillie were preachers of the congregation. The congregation ceased to meet around 1884.

1893 Hamilton Memorial Free Church congregation aggrieved with procedure in election of minister and separate from Free Church.

1894 Congregation meet in Public Hall until opening of church.

1894 Rev. Peter Smith (b. 1852, d. 1934)
Born Knockando, 1st minister of congregation, accepted call from Elder Park Church, Govan 1906

1894 Application to the Congregational Union of Scotland formerly constituted. 142 members withdrew from the Free Church, with a further 81 new members joining the congregation after the first six months.

1896 New Church opened on 21st June costing £1800 seating 450 members

1904 Congregation purchase Westlea, Vicars Road as a Manse for £900. The congregation previously leased Newfield House for the minister.

1906 Rev. James Wallace (b. c1869, d. 1953)
Born Motherwell, Rev. Wallace was responsible for drafting the constitution of the church.

1917 Rev. Walter Gerrard (b. 1879, d. 1946)
Born Edinburgh, previously minister of Congregational Church in Dunfermline.

1922 Rev. Robert McKinlay (d. 1933)
President of Congregation Union of Scotland 1930-1931.

1927 Branch of Girls’ Auxiliary formed, later dissolving in 1933.

1933 Rev. David Clews McArthur M.B.E.
Born Bonhill. Served as Chaplain in the forces as a Captain in Burma, for which he received a MBE

1935 Compton pipe-organ installed replacing old double manuel harmonium installed in 1901.

1941 Rev. James Gilbert Ritchie Strachan (b. c1905, d. 1985)
(Acting) Born Fraserburgh

1944 Rev. James Kinmond Smith (b. 1900, d. c1971)
Born Leith, he accepted call to Cambuslang Congregational Church.

1948 Rev. George Renton Brown (b. 1911, d. 1951)
Born Galashields

1952 Rev. Robert Macready Lawson (b. 1905, d. 1973)
Born Glasgow. Served as Chaplain in the forces. Congregation at all time high of 285 members.

1962 Rev. Clifford Harry Macquire

1965 Rev. Derek Haley (b. 1934)
Born Bradford

1968 Rev. Alexander Friend (b. 1925)
Born Airdrie

1972 Rev. Kathleen M. Callander (b. 1948, d. 1984)
(Student Assistant) Born Aberdeen

1972 Rev. William Robert Nelson Gray O.B.E. (b. 1923, d. 1999)
(Associate) Born Edinburgh. Executive producer of religious programmes for Scottish Television. President of Congregational Union of Scotland 1966-67. Rev. Gray served until 1985 with Rev. Bissett and Fred McDermid.

1975 Rev. Thomas Hall Bissett (b. 1901, d. 1992)
(Associate) Served congregation until 1894.
Fredrick McDermid (b. 1924) (Associate) Pastorate (Lay) of Lanark Congregational Church. Chair of the Congregational Union of Scotland 1962-65 and president 1973-74. Served at Stonehouse during the 1970’s and 80’s.

1986 Rev. Derek Graham Corner (b. 1948)
Born Galashiels

1992 Margaret Anderson (b. 1944)
(Student) Born Glasgow. Margaret Anderson served until 1995.

1998 Rev. Kathryn Smith Anderson
Born United States of America

1999 Congregational Union of Scotland voted to unite with United Reformed Church

2002 Rev. Kathryn Smith Anderson retired

designed and maintained by: pramsay13