Welcome to StonehouseOnline.org.uk, the community website of Stonehouse, South Lanarkshire. Keep up to date with what's happening in the village.
  Home  |  Information & History  |  Facilities  |  Events  |  Then and now  |  Hidden Stonehouse  |  Community groups  |  Businesses  |  News  |  Links  |  Contact

You are here: Information & History | Religion - Parish Church

Religion Covenanters
Eccles. Account
Paterson U.F.C.
Hamilton Mem. F.C.

Parish Church
Old Kirk Yard
Kirk New Street

Patrick Hamilton

Religion - Parish Church

Parish (Established) Church Timeline
9th century Old kirk dedicated to Ninian

1116 Bishopic of Glasgow founded, whereby Stonehouse continued under the diocese of Glasgow

1267 ‘Sir Roger, the rector’
Earliest recorded association with the church in Stonehouse.

1298 Hugh de Burgo
In September, 1298, Edward I made appointments to certain churches in Scotland. ‘The King to John de Langeton his Chancellor. Commands... Similar in favour of Hugh de Burgo clerk, to the vacant church of Stonehouse in the diocese of Glasgow’

1319 Unnamed Cleric
King Edward II presented persons to several churches in Scotland, and among these was ‘Stanhous’, in the diocese of Glasgow

1368 Archibald, Earl of Douglas erected Bothwell Church into a Collegiate Church and mortified the teinds of Stonehouse (Hessildene and Kittymuir) for the upkeep of the three prebendaries in his Collegiate Church. Thereafter, Stonehouse Church would sink to the level of a vicarage, served by vicars supplied from Bothwell, few of the names of which have been preserved. The lands for these vicars lay between the village and the Avon.

1557 Mathew Sandilands
Matthew Sandilands was ‘notar and curate Stanehouse’ in 1557 and earlier. In October of that year he took part in a marriage ceremony of a peculiar nature (when a marriage pall or ‘cair claith’ was used) whereby Claud Hamilton, son of John and Elizabeth Hamilton was legitimated.

1560 William Taylor (prebendary) and Robert Hamilton (prebendary)
William Taylor (Tailzifer) held the prebend of Stonehouse in 1560 producing £30 13s. 4d., which he paid a subsitute £16 to officiate for him in the Collegiate Church of Bothwell. Robert Hamilton held the prebend of Hezildeane, and the rectory of Torrance.

1560 Year of the Reformation. Scotland was divided into five districts over which were placed superintendents to look after the spiritual interests of the people. John Willock was appointed to Glasgow and the West district. A number of parishes were combined and placed under the charge of a minister; and under him a class of probationer styled readers, one being appointed to each parish to read common prayer and scriptures until such times as a suitable minister could be found.

1560 William Hamilton
First reader in the parish

1561 Vicarage given up by the provost of Bothwell

1565 Sir Thomas Wilson
Sir Thomas Wilson was Vicar of Stonehouse in 1565 and ‘with consent of the provost and prebendaries of the Collegiate. Church of Bothwell, who were patrons of the said vicarage’, he rented out the vicarage lands to John Hamilton of Brumhill.

1565 Thomas Neilsoun
In February 1565-6 he was styled perpetual vicar. ‘The King and Queen confirm D. Thome Neilsoun as perpetual vicar of the parish church of Stanehouse with consent of John Hamilton prepositus (provost) of the Church of Bothwell’.

1571 John Rankine

1574 Alexander Hamilton
Translated to Strathaven in 1576 as first ordained protestant minister, later taking up ministry of Glassford in 1580

1579 Andrew Hamilton
Reader previously officiating in Dalserf and later returning to Dalserf

1585 Rev. Robert Darroch
First ordained protestant minister in Stonehouse Parish, later translated to Kilbride in 1586

1586 Rev. Archibald Normand (b. 1563 d. 1644)
Translated to Strathaven around 1589. In 1587 Sir James Hamilton of Crawfordjohn had to ask pardon for striking Rev. Normand.

1591 Rev. Andrew Law (d. c1639)
Translated to Glassford in 1593, he was possibly related to Margaret Law (buried Stonehouse Graveyard 1678) the wife of John Nisbet (Covenanter)

1593 Rev. Luke Stirling

1595 Rev. Alexander Thomson (m. Anna Duncan, d. c1641)
Ministered until c1630 holding prebendary of Hezildene, within the collegiate of Bothwell Church

1625 Rev. James Johnston (m. Helen Hamilton, d. c1659)
Assistant to Rev. Thomson in 1625, translating to Monkland in 1626 before returning in 1630

1652 Rev. Thomas Charteris (b. c1626, m. Anna Hamilton, d. 1656)
Translated to Kilbride in 1654

1656 Rev. John Oliphant (1st m. Jean Campbell, d. 1698)
Deprived of living by Acts of Glasgow 1662, when more than 400 Church of Scotland ministers were cast out of their charges for conscience sake

1685 Rev. Angus Macintosh

1687 Rev. John Oliphant (2nd m. Jean Hamilton in 1694)
Translated to Carluke in 1691 and later to Carstairs in 1693

1696 Rev. Archibald Foyer (b. c1668, m. Agnes Goodlet (b. 1668, d. 1734) d. 1710)
Buried in old kirk cemetery

1713 Rev. John Scott (b. 1683, m. Ann Sommerville (d. 1774), d. 1759)
Buried in old kirk cemetery

1734 Restoration work carried out on Old Kirk

1756 Robert Watson appointed “beddal, grave-maker and kirk-officer”

1760 Rev. James Muir(ore)head (b. 1732, d. 1800)
First minister in the new kirk, he wrote statistical account of village in 1790

1761 Manse built at Glebe replacing older building, later upgraded in 1781, 1806, 1816 and 1905.

1772 New Kirk built in New Street accommodating 600 people, at a cost of £450. An article from the Hamilton Advertiser in 1895 suggests the building was erected sometime between 1760-1771. The bell was removed from the belfry in 1929 and held by Mr MacLeod until 1943 when it was removed to Dundee. The old church subsequenty became a hosiery factory, S. A. headquarters and meal mill.

1790 Statistical Account states there are around 140 dissenters in total, of which 4 families are Cameronians, 5 families-Antiburghers, 21 families-Presbytery or Relief and 5 families are Burghers

1801 Rev. William Stark (b. 1772)
Formerly minister in Airdrie, later translated to Dirleton in 1805

1806 Rev. Daniel Wilkie (b. 1781, d. 1838)
Originator of the first Stonehouse Auxiliary Bible Society in 1813. Translated to Yester in 1821, thence to New Greyfriars in 1829 where he was later laid to rest.

1822 Rev. Hugh Dewar (from Fenwick, b. 1794, m. Jessie Henderson 1822, d. 1861)
Buried in old kirk cemetery

1836 Statistical Account by Rev. Hugh Dewar states 360 families attend the established church and around 120 families are dissenters or seceders

1861 Rev. James Dunn (from Doune, b. 1821, d. 1887)
Buried in old kirk cemetery

1866 Stonehouse Auxiliary Bible Society formed

1887 Rev. James Wyper Wilson (d.1925)
Last minister of the Old Parish Church in New Street

1893 Girls’ Brigade formed

1894 Stonehouse Boys’ Brigade formed. The Boys’ Brigade was founded by William Alexander from Thurso in 1883, making the Stonehouse company among the oldest in the country.

1896 Memorial stone laid for new church in Vicars Road by Major-General Lockhart

1897 Parish Church officially opened

1922 Installation of pipe organ, donated by the congregation in memory of those who gave their lives in the Great War

1926 Rev. Thomas McCaughan
Resigned in 1935 due to ill health

1929 Union of the Churches. The kirk session agreed in recognition of the event to rename the Parish Church as St.Ninian’s Parish Church of Scotland, Stonehouse. Church bell was removed from Old Parish Church in New Street.

1934 Installation of electric lights completed

1935 Rev. Hugh R. Munro
Received call from Bo’ness as an assistant to Rev. McCaughan before becoming his successor. He received a call from another church in 1943.

1944 Rev. George K. Wood
Received call from New Galloway. Accepted call from another church in 1946 to facilitate the union of St.Ninian’s and Hamilton Memorial Church.

1946 Union of Hamilton Memorial Church and St. Ninian’s Parish Church. United charge renamed Stonehouse Church of Scotland. United Guild of Stonehouse Church of Scotland formed.

1947 Rev. Robert C. Pollock
Served as Army Chaplain during war. Accepted call to St.Andrew’s, Falkirk in 1951

1951 Rev. W.A.J. Gardiner
Served as Interim Moderator until new minister appointed

1952 Rev. William R.F. McGhie (d. 1968)
Served as Army Chaplain during war. Accepted call for missionary work in Jamacia in 1957. Undertook research project of tracing the history of the church in Stonehouse from 1560 to 1956.

1954 Boys’ Brigade re-established after lapse of nearly half a century

1955 New hall opened incorporating stained glass windows from Hamilton Memorial Church

1956 Rev. W.A.J. Gardiner
Served as Interim Moderator until new minister appointed

1956 Parish Church Woman’s Guild formed

1957 Rev. Alexander Gemmell (d.1984)
Appointed Clerk to the Presbytery of Hamilton in 1980

1958 ‘Mens’ Club’ formed, meeting in Adult Education Centre in Green Street

1959 Young Woman’s Fellowship formed

1960 400th anniversary of Reformation

1961 Opening ceremony of new church gates

1962 AGM of congregation agreed renaming of church as St.Ninian’s Parish Church

1970 New small hall opened, dedicated to Rev. Alexander Gemmell. The armorial bearings of Hamilton of Raploch, who resided at Patrickholm incorporated into the vestibule, gifted by Mrs Euphemia Hamilton of Crofthead farm. (formerly embedded above the entrance door to Patrickholm House)

1971 Twelve hundredth anniversary of dedication of the Parish to St. Ninian

1981 Rev. C. Raymond Vincent
Retired in 1992 to New Galloway

1992 Rev. Tom Nelson

1996 Centenary Year in which three services were screened by Scottish Television

2002 Rev. Tom Nelson receives call to Netherlee Church, Glasgow

2003 Rev. Paul George Reid Grant

designed and maintained by: pramsay13