named with reference to the ‘angle’
of the street.
to have been located at the end of Green Street to the right of the
former railway embankment. Only reference to this
street comes from George Wilsons ‘Hame’.
named after Argyll Street in Glasgow. It was common place to use street
names trading cities.
Indo-European origin meaning a river or water.
||A ‘beamer’ is
a weaver who winds the warp onto a beam, and thereon to the loom. Wee
Tam Sorbie was a local beamer at the turn of the
named after the common beech wood tree which is plentiful in the
from the burn and former farm near the Horsepool. The farm was present
pre1816 but was recorded to be in ruin in 1858. birk;
(Scots) small wood mainly consisting of birch trees.
Sinkwell in 1816 (William Forrest). (Blakwood 1596 Pont)
||There are 29
settlements in Scotland called Blinkbonny or Blinkbonnie. They are
found in non-gaelic areas, down from the eastern lowlands from
Caithness to the
Borders. The name indicates a patch of ground favourable for farming
because it has a southern or
protected aspect; Sunnyside and Morningside are place names of the same
1. mire 2. work in wet dirty surroundings
Brankston House, built between 1858 and 1898.
(Scots) 1. a kind of bridle or halter 2. an instrument of
public punishment, an iron bridle and gag used to punish breaches of
the peace or abusive language. In
1560 Edinburgh Town Council passed a law that stated women who nagged
their husbands would
be punished by the ‘branks’. This was an iron frame, fastened onto the
head, with a metal
spike forced into the mouth.
The woman was then led through the streets on the end of a chain.
Hamilton (covenanter) of Brigholm is present in 1683. (Brigholme 1662)
Labour County Councillor Robert L. Brodie who served Stonehouse between
1946 and 1958.
hill in Dumfries and Galloway along with several other streets deriving
from hills across the Southern Uplands and South Lanarkshire. Named by
named after the railway which passes by the back of the street.
‘Cambusnethan House’ the proprietors of which owned much of the land in
Stonehouse Parish. Camnethan dates back to at least 1596. Construction
of Camnethan Street took place between 1830-1840. Cam; 1. limestone,
pipeclay 2. the tilt or angle given to a furrow as it falls over from
the ploughshare. Cambus; (Gaelic)
a bend or crook in a river. neth;
derive from the saint, Nethan
||From the map
of Charles Ross 1773, this farm appears to have been formerly named
(1816 William Forrest) Calfauld was a place between Wellbrae and
(Scots) cattle or sheep pen
the Cander Water. In 1750 a second Kander is located approximately
where Canderside Farm is sited today. (Kand 1596 Pont)
a person appointed to oversee fishing (Kand 1596 Pont; castle on river
not recorded after this date) May derive from ‘candie’ - a drain.
family residence of the Lockharts, this castle was said to be in ruins
in a survey of Stonehouse in 1710. No remains in 1885. Also known as Kemps Castle. Adders
were to be found in this area during the 1950’s.
suggests that ‘Cat’ in the English and Gaelic language was the scene of
a battle, but I can find no evidence of any battle. (Kat Castel 1596
Pont) The Hamilton Family resided here in 1500. Naismith stated a
fortification of significant strength was present here, evidenced by
the remains of the walls, which were in ruin. (Kat 1680, Catt 1750,
Coat 1816, Cout 1821) cat;
(Gaelic) a potato or corn heap cat; (Scots)
and clay’-a handful of straw mixed with soft clay used in the
building or repairing of walls or buildings. cath; (Gaelic) a battle
Nellies Burn at Castlehill. This spring can still be seen seeping
through the grass, 10ft away from the burn at the foot of Castlehill. A
contains water bearing iron salts, from the Greek khalups (steel).
||The ruins of
the mill are still evident on the Avon river near Ringsdale Castle.
(‘Clocksy’ Mill in ruins 1859). A census in 1696 records a Raploch Mill
in Stonehouse parish. Whether or not these are one and the same I am
derives from the prehistoric mound
on the Carlisle Road. cairn;
a mound of stones erected as a memorial or marker. May derive from
Gaelic carn chocuill (cairn of the gap).
The Munro ‘Beinn a’ Chocuill’ exists in Dalmally. (Garncochil, Pont
Dovesdale at the ford on the Cander with Watstoun. James Thomson’s
(Covenanter) ancestors are said to have moved to Tanhill from
1773) cors; (Scots) to seek,
search let; (Scots) a gate or
to stop up a gap in a hedge or a wall. Cors - in some Scots placenames
is a metathesis of ‘Cross’. A Gavin Wood of Corslett (covenanter) is
recorded in the year 1683.
||In 1816 there
existed a house by the name of Cowplow which had a lime quarry near by.
(Scots) 1. a rubbish tip, fall 2. buy or exchange 3. Plough up
(the green strip between furrows)
law; conical hill, isolated, an artificial mound
known as Market Place (1868).
settlement associated with Hamilton family.
1618) Present farm located next to standing stone.
Rev. Crow of Paterson Church 1930-1952.
1596, Krúnock 1654, Crumak 1773) crumak, crummock; (Scots) a
shepherds crook cromag;
(gaelic) - anything bent, a hook or a crook
named after Dr. Davidson
half acre open space off Angle Street, now called Leith Avenue.
Dunside Burn, South of Sandford
known as Headdykes Farm (near Roman Road)
(Scots) resembling elves, weird, ghostly, strange, elrig: (Gaelic) a
notch in hillside or a trap into which deer are driven by hunters.
There are several places in
Scotland by the name of Elrig or Elrich.
a pool, muddy or stagnant water
1816 - Foulmyre 1858) mire;
(Scots) a peat bog
formerly two Gallowhills, one near Watstoun Burn and a second at
Kittymuir. There are, however, no records of any hangings taking place
in the parish, to
between Cander bridge and
Canderside toll where a small gauge railway
ran to the Spion Kop colliery. Garibaldi; Italian hero who fought to
unite Italy in the
mid 19th century.
named after Dr. (Rev.) Gemmell, formerly of St.Ninian’s Church.
the late Councillor for Stonehouse. Named by myself.
ravine (Gill 1750 Charles Ross)
associated with Hamilton family.
washing ‘green’was situated, evidenced on Ordnance Survey map of 1859.
Feu title deeds state Green Street ‘stood on forty pence templar lands’
(G.F. Wilson). Greenside Place rested on the diagonal stretch of road
between Miller Street and Green Street opposite the Masonic hall .
(Scots) bring-grist to the mill, corruption of Gristmill
(Gráisthil 1654 Blaeu)
named after Rev. W. K. Hamilton, the
first minister of the former
Hamilton Memorial Church in Green Street
from Hawkwood Hill South of Sandford in the Kype range.
lies to the west of Douglas. Hareshaw Burn is a tributary of the Kype.
(Scots) 1. hare 2. the last sheaf or a handful of grain cut in the
harvest field shaw; (Scots)
a small natural wood
hazel; (Scots) an area covered in hazels dean, dene; (Scots) a local
designation, possibly ministers residence (Hessildene 1398 - Hasildein
named after Hill Cottage or U.P. Church Hill Manse which dates to at
a stretch of low lying land beside a river (Hoomhead 1596 Pont)
- Hosenette 1913) hosnet; a
small stocking shaped net fixed to a pole,
used for fishing, a trap
Jimmy Inglis, who raised funds for charity with his group the Tartan
fortified house hol; (Scots)
named after King George IV or King William IV. The two storey building
ajoining the Cross from King Street, now an Indian restaurant and Chip
(formerly belonging to Messers. Gray and Naismith) was known as
Cut-Apple Terrace (G.F. Wilson).
led to the old St. Ninian’s Church
(Gaelic) a hillock - cnocan;
a small hillock
||High land at
||Said to be
derived from “kirk o’ the muir” (Kythumbre 1362, Kintumber 1390,
Kittimur 1596, Kittimur 1689) muir; area of uncultivated land. kitty;
(Scots) prostitute, bad girl, prison. Kitty fell;
(Scots) skin of sheep, slaughter, measurement of land (possibly a
Farm. Knowe; (Scots) a hill
e.g. ‘Ca the yowes tae the knowes’ (Robert
1596 - Longrig 1773) rigg;
(Scots) a long narrow hill, ploughed strip
of land (runrigs)
tilework park. syke; (Scots)
a small stream or water course, boggy
a rounded conical hill, isolated, a grave mound
a flax plant (Lintheach 1596 Pont) haugh;
(Scots) a piece of level
ground on the banks of a river
Naismith records the street as Laurie Street in 1884. Possibly named
after a local worthy, a James Laurie was resident in the parish in 1696
(an elder of the established church). Formerly known as the ‘new toon’
to generations from 1780 onwards (G.F. Wilson). ‘Newtown’ (1851 census)
Plenderleith, local builder of distinction in Stonehouse. Named by Mrs
the Lockhart Family who were past proprietors of land in the parish of
Lockhart Place was formerly known as Cam’nethan Place.
(Scots) 1. a grassy track 2. a milking place 3. a street or roadway
(English) a piece of land 2. an ecclesiastical division of land
|Named after a
hill near Wanlockhead.
(Scots) the home farm of an estate cultivated for or by the
proprietor acre; measure of
||The road to
the manse. This road is also referred to locally as ‘the
Allan’s’ (farmers of Westmains)
obstruct, hinder, intercept, stop. This road was at one time a
toll road out of Stonehouse to Overton.
the parish of Dalserf, Millburn has a close
association with the past proprietors of Stonehouse. The Scottish
‘colourist’ painter Leslie Hunter (1879-1931)
stayed here during the first world war with his uncle. While there he
painted interiors of the
farm and still lifes which have been exhibited world wide. (Milburn -
1596 Pont, Milburne - 1548)
(Scots) a steep bank. The turn uphill from the river
was known locally around the turn of the century as ‘Geordie Flit’.
Other parts of the road down the brae
were known as Girzel Knowe (Girzie;
(Scots) maid servant) and Pennisten
Knowe (pennystane; (Scots)
a round flat stone used in quoits). At the same turn on the Millheugh
Road, there was a road
which continued on past the viaduct to an oil works. This road was
known as the ‘Tinks’ road’.
(Milheach 1596 Pont)
Thomas Millar who resided in this street.
named after Dr. Alex McLean (d1938 aged 80); physician for
near 50 years.
Labour County Councillor John McEwan
who served Stonehouse
||Named after a
hill in Dumfries and Galloway.
1696) There formerly stood a mill near the
Horsepool named Millholm in 1768. Traces of the mill can
still be found on the Avon adjacent to Allan’s
Haugh. A legal document dated 1797, granted a 999 year lease of ground
in King Street, in which
it stated - the “Perpetual Tack” of that year ... “all grindable corn
ground on the siad piece of
ground (Sweet-bryar park) to be taken to Millholm mill and the
accustomed meal, bannocks and other
duties paid”. Udston Mill Road was previously the main route to the
mill. A John Hamilton of
Milneholm is cited as a supporter of the Covenant in 1683.
named around the beginning of the 19th century.
Name originates from the Holy Land in Jordan, north of the Dead Sea. Mount Pisgah is
the highest point of the
mountains of Abarim. The Israelites, led by Moses, reached “the valley
lying in the region of
Moab by the top of Pisgah which looks, down upon the desert”
Nos. 21:20. Could it be
that Ninian (like Moses), in coming from the west to our parish,
looking down on ‘the promised’
land, had the idea of establishing a Christian community? A romantic
theory perhaps, but
doubtful. In Scotland there are three settlements by the name of Pisgah
and three Pisgah hills
including one near Greenock and another near Gatehouse-of-Fleet.
noose, snare, religious preacher stibble;
probationary minister in the presbyterian church
the Rev. James Morehead, ordained in
1760 and probably the
last minister to preach in the old kirk, or, Murhead in the parish of
Dalserf dating back to
named after Dr. Murray.
named after Dr. Murray.
Robert Naismith author of ‘A History of Stonehouse’ in 1885.
(Scots) a projecting point of land, an outlying or remote
place (Nook 1696, Neuk 1773)
known as the ‘Front Street’ George Wilson (Hame) suggests it
was renamed c1850, though the street was identified as New Street in
the 1841 census.
(Scots) toad or frog. Where the Smithy was situated in Queen
Street. This place originated when a barber returning from Strathaven
fell into a pond
full of frogs.
1596 Pont) Sandstone quarry sited here during latter half of
the 19th century.
U.P. Manse and Queen Street.
||Named after Rev. H.A. Paterson of
the U.P. Church, who died in 1901.
named after either Partick Hamilton,
first preacher and
martyr of the Scottish Reformation around 1503 or his father Sir
Patrick Hamilton of Kinavel
and Stonehouse. (Patrickhoom 1596 Pont)
(Scots) the devil (remains are still evident today) A rare
‘Adam and Eve’ stone sundial carving was found here, now situated at a
farm in Ayrshire. The carving
was probably incorporated into the ‘keep’ between the late 17th and
century. Another theory is that the stone depicts Adam and Lillith’
(Adam’s first wife). Lillith was said
to be a ‘she devil’ worshipped in witchcraft.
to Ironstone mines near Double Dykes
Queen Victoria (reigned between 1837-1901), this street is
often referred to locally as the ‘back road’. An old mile stone once
stood here but disappeared in
the mid 1970s
named after Wull Reid of Holm Farm
||Pool on the
Lawrie Street and Argyle Street, this street is named in the
statistical account of 1881.
suggests Rings is derived from Rhyn;
(Welsh) the language of
the Ancient Britons,
signifying promontory or hill. The remains of what appears to be a
‘motte’ still here.
‘St. Ninian’s Well’, sometimes known as Ringans
opposite of the Cander from Woodlands Farm rye; a tall
grasslike cereal grown for its light brown grain
adjoining Parkhall and Queen Street.
shallow area in a river that can be crossed by foot or
horseback (Sandfurd 1596 Pont, Sandyfourd 1750)
||1. ‘The house
by the river’ (Latin?), 2. A Pool on the Avon bears this
name; The most probable theory for the origins of this street name
relate to a time when the
Avon was in spate. A corner of the pasture land on Holm farm was in
danger of being washed away and in
an effort to ‘secure’ the dry stane dyke bounding the field, the laird
and his servants would
take steps to prevent further flooding; known in local dialect as
“securing”; thus the
corruption of the present name.
This Pool lies between Reid’s Haugh and Hazel Hole.
Crumhaugh Farm on road to Sandford. shaw;
small woodland. There
exist another nine
Shawhead’s in Scotland.
derived from ‘Syde’ in the
parish of Avondale in the ownership
of Sir Robert Hamilton of Goslington in 1608.
1696) Named after St.Laurence’s Well at
Chapel Farm. In 1820
a fair in Hamilton was named after St. Laurence. St. Laurence was a 3rd
Christian who died in 258. He is celebrated on August 10th. Present
Chapel farm was built in 1769.
|So called on
account of the braes here being covered with sloe bushes.
named in the late 17th century. From the Holy Land. Sodom was
the chief city in the Plain, on which the Lord “rained brimstone and
fire” (Gen. 19:24-5).
Sodom is said to be on the southern border of the land of Canaan, but
no evidence has been found
of its existence. On the southern shore of the Dead Sea, a hill of salt
is recorded as Mount
Sodom. “Hear the word of the Lord,
you rulers of Sodom! Give ear to the
teaching of our God, you
people of Gomorrah!” (Isaiah 1:10) A battle or skirmish is said
been fought here,
probably in relation to the Covenanters.
battle fought near hill of that name in 1900, resulting in
heavy British losses.
(Scots) a charity hospital, a hospice or shelter for
travellers. The term is of Latin origin; hospitium - hence our
hospital. Present Spital House built in 1723.
(Spittel 1596 Pont) It is said, “All passers by were provided with food
and a night’s quarters free of
charge; even the rich were left to acknowledge their entertainment by
making a voluntary offering
to the coffers of the institution”. St. Anthony’s Holy Well is situated
in the grounds of
Spittal House. He was an Egyptian hermit (b. 251, d. 356) whose remains
were lost for two
centuries, before being rediscovered at La Motte, where the ‘Order of
Hospitallers of St.
Anthony’ was formed in 1100.
The saint is celebrated on January 17th. Nicknamed Snail Street (G.F.
the weaving industry in Stonehouse. A village named
Spinningdale exists in Sutherland.
old Stonehouse surname mentioned in Black’s surnames of
situated at left side of Angle Street facing the Cross with a
massive dung heap at the front of the dwelling. A Thomas Millar resided
here in 1756. stank; a
ditch or gutter
Superintendent Physician Dr.. Sutherland (d1929 aged 46) of
Stonehouse County Orthopaedic Hospital. Came to Stonehouse from
Helmsdale. Hon. Pres. of Stonehouse Violet FC.
which Galloway & MacLeod Ltd utilise in King Street.
acre. Probably from the runrigs, still in evidence near
Darngaber ‘motte’. (Thinaker 1596 Pont)
lies South of Sandford in the Kype range.
where a tod, (Fox) is said to have hidden from a pack of
pursuing hounds under a stone slab. Todstable and Secaurin Avenue were
first streets to be
built in Westmains estate.
(Scots) a homestead and its lands. Formerly Templar lands
named after the Trongate in Glasgow
named after the Covenanter James
Thomson of Tanhill, killed at
Drumclog in 1679, buried in old kirk yard.
1596 Pont) Toun head is a very common Scots name for the
‘ferm toun’ at the head of the farm area (e.g. Tounhead in Glasgow and
Coatbridge)- nothing to do
with ‘town’ in the modern sense.
a call to calves at feeding time (Twedy and Tueedyhil,
||The farm of
Uds-‘toun’ dates back to at least 1697. stoun, ston;
(Scots) a tree stump or tree left after felling
named after Union Street in Glasgow where weavers traded with
local merchants.Formerly known by locals as Snail
Street, as it was said that snails
abounded in the gutters and ditches.
lands lay between the village and the Avon. vicarage;
(Scots) land before the
reformation allocated to vicar.
||Park where Meadowside Cottage
is situated. wassock; (Scots) a bundle of
straw used as a torch
derive from Watstone Farm.
an area of arable land occupied by a number of farmers or
tenants, a farm with its buildings and surrounding area (Watstoun 1596)
(Scots) to shrink cloth after wetting. Common place-name in
the weavers who plied their trade in the village.
bleaching green and source of water supply.
(Scots) the home farm of an estate cultivated for or by the
||whin; 1. hard
rock, 2. gorse rigg; a long narrow hill, ploughed strip
||Named after Councillor Thomas
Wilson (d1955 aged 82); founder of Wilson
pathway between Canderside farm
and the Toll.
Yard (Scots measure), 2. a garden, 3. a church yard or